Model Schools 2017 (1 of 3)- How my my career was Uplifted





This short week at the Model Schools conference in Nashville, Tennessee has been truly monumental. Not only did I take away specific skills and strategies to direct my new students towards Quadrant D, it left me feeling excited and ready for the new school year. It also affirmed that I am on the right track. Please click here to help me acknowledge my village who made this professional development possible.


I am truly thankful to be doing the job that I do. I really, really don't mind working during the summer. Being a champion for my students (and daughter) is important to me.

In Nashville I had the opportunity to hear several keynote speakers, and guess what? They were all fantastic! 




Image result for eric sheninger quotes
Follow Eric at @E_Sheninger. 
Eric Sheninger reminded us to maintain a growth mindset. We should not be working to prepare our students for something. We need to teach students to be prepared for anything!


Follow Daniel at @DanielPink

Daniel Pink shared fascinated information from his new book called When. I look forward to purchasing it as soon as it's in print! Daniel cited terrific information about the timing with which we do things and the need for breaks. It seems obvious that students work best first thing in the morning or after a break, but the evidence is even more drastic than I even thought. A study of 2 million students in Europe demonstrated that for every hour later a group took the same test they performed at a lower level. Did you know that in Finland students have a 15 minute break for each hour that they are in school. Take a walk, play, socialize or a combination of the three, either way, take a break! Your students (and you!) will definitely not regret it. 



One speaker that I was really looking forward to hearing was
Dr. Bill Daggett, Founder and Chairman of the International Center for Leadership in Education. He developed the Rigor and Relevance Framework. If you are an educator or a parent, and you are not familiar with it, I would recommend that you check it out. In my early career, like many others I lived in Quadrant A and B. I had some wild ideas, thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if...?" However, I never really acted upon them. 


With age, comes wisdom, and wild abandon, kidding, but with experience and empowerment (from our administration) comes bravery. So, when my students suggested, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a car wash to raise money for @WaterforLife...but we can't do that." I answered with, "Why not? Make it happen." And they did.

I have, by no means, permanently settled in the land of Quadrant D, but I am working to take many more long term vacations there. It is a goal of mine to live there, and vacation in B. More on Quad D in posts to come.


Related image
Follow Temple at @TempleGrandin


Dr. Temple Grandin laid the foundation for the second day of the conference. She has spoken in our hometown several times as part of the Glenbard Parent Series, but I've never been able to attend. I will make a point to attend in the future.

Dr. Grandin has autism, but has embraced her self-described "weirdness". She recognizes that people with autism think differently, and that we should should understand, accept, and use different ways of thinking to our advantage.

Putting down the video games, expanding exposure to experiences, and having kids work were key concepts that she presented. Too often we allow kids, especially those on the spectrum, to fall into their digital world instead of exposing them to different opportunities. We need to teach kids, especially those with autism, how to shake hands and communicate. We cannot speak for them, rather teach them how to participate outside of their comfort zone. I highly recommend that you listen to her speak. She's direct, insightful, funny, and ridiculously worthwhile.

Dr. Daggett will be closing the conference shortly, and I am really looking forward to it. On paper, these speakers may seem like any other expert in their field, but to this teacher, they reiterated all that is important to me. They renewed my vigor, built my excitement. I feel like a challenge was set forth the day that I earned my diploma. It's within me, and most teachers, I need to make the year my students are with me, the best. They only get one time in fourth grade.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Place to Think-Confer-Create-Share

Inhale love, exhale gratitude

Recreating the Space